FIRST PREPARATORY MEETING FOR THE 16th UNITED NATIONS DAY OF VESAK 2019 - PRESS RELEASE
FIRST PREPARATORY MEETING FOR THE 16th UNITED NATIONS DAY OF VESAK 2019
For Immediate Release
October 11, 2018
In December BE 2542, the General Assembly of the United Nations, at its fifty-fourth session (Agenda Item 174), recognized the Day of Vesak to celebrate the thrice-sacred event of the life of the Buddha Gautama. In recognition of the resolution passed by the United Nations, it is resolved that appropriate activities should be held annually in May at the UN Headquarters and other regional UN offices. The Buddhist community in different countries have organized activities to celebrate this important day every year, at the local, national, and international levels.
In 2008 and 2014, Vietnam successfully hosted the Fifth and the Eleventh United Nations Day of Vesak Celebrations. Since then, Vietnamese Buddhism has witnessed great development in the fields of education, culture, social engagement, and spiritual practices.
In appreciation of the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and its auspice, the National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha anxiously and proudly plans to host the 16th United Nations Day of Vesak celebrations and international Buddhist conference in Ha Nam Province from 12-14 May 2019. This is the third time that Vietnam has the honor of hosting this international celebration. The International Council of the Day of Vesak (ICDV) entrusts the National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha with the organization of this significant event.
The first preparatory meeting for the UNDV 2019 was held on 11 October 2018 at the Crowne Plaza West Hanoi. Representative members of the ICDV from India, Thailand, Sri Lanka, China, U.S.A., Norway, Hungary, South Korea, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia, and Vietnam unanimously decided to host UNDV 2019 in Ha Nam Province from 12-14 May 2019.
The main theme of the 2019 UNDV Conference is Buddhist Approach to Global Leadership and Shared Responsibilities for Sustainable Societies.
We are very happy to announce that the government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and the National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha expected to welcome more than 10,000 participants, including heads of states, Buddhist leaders, scholars, practitioners, and peace-loving people from all of the Buddhist traditions around the world.
- To celebrate the thrice-sacred day of Vesak (celebrating the birth, enlightenment and passing away of the Buddha Gautama) internationally
- To foster cooperation among Buddhist communities and institutions at the national and international levels
- To cooperate to develop Buddhist solutions to the global crisis
- To collaborate to disseminate Buddhism through academic activities, religious ceremonies and ways of life.
- National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha Organizing Committee appointed by the Vietnamese government, including Buddhist Leaders, government representatives, private sector and others
- International Organizing Committee for the International Day of Vesak Celebrations
3. Funding source
- National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha
4. 1st Preparation Meeting of UNDV 2019
- Date: 11-12 October 2018
- Venue: Meeting Room, Crowne Plaza West Hanoi, 36 Le Duc Tho Street My Dinh Commune, Tu Liem District, Hanoi
- Press Conference: at the above venue on the same day at 15h00.
5. Key Contacts
- Most Ven.Dr. Thich Duc Thien (co-Secretary-General of ICDV-UNDV 2019; Vice President - Secretary-General of National Vietnam Buddhist Sangha): +84-912019747. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Most Ven.Dr. Thich Nhat Tu (Deputy Secretary-General of UNDV 2019; Vice Rector of Vietnam Buddhist University). Cell: +84-908153160. Email: email@example.com